In this post we will discuss the NKBA Kitchen and Bathroom Planning Guidelines, by first stating the guidelines and then pointing our their importance and giving insight on solutions and practices based on my industry experience. Find out more about NKBA here.
The Guidelines (according to the NKBA)
Preparation Work Area
- Include a section of continuous counter top at least 36″ wide x 24″ deep immediately next to a sink for a primary preparation/work area.
- Standard AFF (above finish floor) height is 36″
- If the user bakes a lot you might want 30″ – 32″ counter height (for rolling dough and such like that)
- If the user is tall, counter heights can even go up to 40″ – 42″
- a combination of a perpendicular counter can make a good preparation area — this could also be in conjunction with a diagonal counter in the corner
- If the sink and range are on the same wall, then I like to keep the counter at 36″ for the preparation area
- I prefer to have the preparation area be the island or a peninsula