Industry Ed with Richard: Kitchen and Bath Guideline Series
In this post we will discuss the NKBA Kitchen and Bathroom Planning Guidelines, by first stating the guidelines and then pointing out their importance and giving insight on solutions and practices based on my industry experience. Find out more about NKBA here.
The Guidelines (according to the NKBA)
Toilet Paper Holder
- The toilet paper holder should be located 8″ – 12″ in front of the edge of the toilet bowl, centered at 26″ above the floor.
- Every toilet has a toilet paper holder but did you ever know there was a science to the placement of it? You will find, that at these dimensions, the toilet paper will be most easily accessible.
- Depending on what may be on the sides of your toilet, placing the holder on either the left or the right is fine. Often times, the holders are mounted to the side of the vanities if that’s the only available space.
- But where do you put your back-up toilet paper? If you do not have any immediate storage around your toilet, you should consider a cabinet above the toilet for toilet paper and such.
- A toilet cabinet should be 57″ AFF (above finish floor).