In this post we will discuss the NKBA Kitchen and Bathroom Planning Guidelines, by first stating the guidelines and then pointing out their importance and giving insight on solutions and practices based on my industry experience. Find out more about NKBA here.
- The standard refrigerator size is 36″ wide by 69″ tall.
- They do come in many sizes though, and the scope of the space in which it resides and the needs of your family will determine what size refrigerator is best for you.
- Often times the fridge sits alone with cabinets built around it, to the side and sometimes atop. A new trend seen lately is a completely built-in refrigerator. These refrigerator doors look like the rest of the cabinets and so therefore the fridge looks like it is apart of your cabinets and is hidden a bit.
- Another kind of refrigerator seen lately is the kind that comes in “colums” of 18″, 24″, and 36″ wide. Each column is a part of the fridge that has a specific purpose and you can piece them together to make one refrigerator. You can pick and choose what you need. This is a great way to customize your fridge according to your lifestyle needs.
- Also, when refrigerator shopping, I suggest you get a refrigerator that has a separate compressor for the fridge and the freezer. This makes the cooling of the fridge more efficient and the food lasts longer.
- It is important that you don’t let your fridge become too big for your space. If you need more refrigerator space, consider having a second refrigerator in a butler’s pantry or garage.
- Remember when space planning your kitchen that your fridge must sit off the wall to allow for water hookup. This will vary with each manufacturer.