Recipe of the Month: Aunt T's Macaroni Casserole & Big Mamma's Eggplant or Mirliton Casserole
You know a recipe is great if it’s passed down from one generation to another. For February’s Recipe of the Month we chose two tried-and-true casserole recipes from our Senior Designer, Logan.
The first recipe is in honor of Logan’s Aunt T.
“My “Aunt T”, Theresa. She was my fathers baby sister, and she just passed of cancer. She made this every thanksgiving and New Years and me and my cousins LOVED it! I just made it this thanksgiving and I am really glad I got the recipe from her before she passed.“
- Boil angel hair pasta
- Mix in 1 stick of butter, salt and pepper to taste
- Add 1 bag of shredded cheddar, 1/2 can of condensed milk (unsweetened)
- Put in square casserole dish. Top with American cheese slices
- Cook at 350 degrees until cheese on top of casserole is lightly toasted and milk is almost evaporated.
Logan inherited the knowledge of this eggplant casserole recipe from her grandmother Francis, AKA Big Mamma.
- 2 medium eggplant or mirliton
- 1 lb hot pork sausage
- 1 large onion or 2-3 green onions (chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 16 oz canned tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Cook sausage until crumble. Remove from skillet & drain.
- Sautee onions, green pepper, parsley and celery.
- Add cooked, drained eggplant and tomatoes. Cook until most liquids evaporate.
- Stir about 1/4 of sausage mixture into egg.
- Add to remaining mixture, stirring constantly.
- Stir in cheese. Add bread crumbs and stir.
- Add bread crumbs and sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake until brown.
Tried the recipe? Let us know what you think! Special thanks to Big Mamma!